Friday, February 11, 2011

Digital Landscape









The goal for my digital landscape was to alter photos using Photoshop to create an abstract using the city of New York.  I kept in mind digital landscaped photos that were created by Karin Kuhlmann because I liked the idea of creating an abstract photo.                                                                
To create my own digital landscape I began by looking on Google for pictures.  At first I wasn't sure what kind of landscape I wanted to create so I saved pictures of all kinds.  When I finished looking for pictures I decided to take my favourite ones and make them blend.  I Chose New York City, a picture of the moon and a beach sunset.  To make them one landscape I first opened the picture of New York City and pasted it on its own layer.  I used the Magic Wand to separate the buildings from its night sky.  Since I didn't remove all the night sky I used the eraser to remove the remaining from the tricky spots that the magic wand didn't pick up.  Once I was finished with New York City, I opened up the beach sunset and pasted it on a separate layer, then I erased the grassy beach, so I was left with the sunset.  When I put both, the sunset and the New York buildings together I realized that the pink part of the sunset wasn't as noticeable behind the buildings.  To fix the problem I used the Clone Stamp to put in more of the pink sky which made the sunset more visible behind the buildings.  For the picture of the moon, I opened it up and pasted it on its own layer.  Then I erased the sky from around it and moved it into the top left hand corner.  After that I decided to add some stars to the night sky using the eraser tool.  Randomly I put dots into the sunset background, and put larger stars closer to the moon.  Once I was finished my picture I changed up the colours of the sunset using the adjustion of the saturation and hue button.  I also changed the buildings by using filter and the plastic wrap.  I used these two final touches to add more detail and to make it unoriginal.  As you can see in the second picture from the top, without these adjustments, my picture was close to being the same as the original one.   
Overall I was hoping that my photo would be more creative.  I'm glad that I changed the colour of the sunset and the effects of the buildings to make my picture look more creative.  Next time I hope to have more time to put together a digital landscape so that I can put more thought into it. I would also like to find more pictures to alter and distort to create the final image.   

1 comment:

  1. Jess, you've done a good job on this first task. You have demonstrated a competence with the software tools and a good sense of design.

    Two minor grammar issues are noted on your rubric.

    I like the intensity of the sunset and the whimsy of the moon and stars. The plastic wrap filter gives a very interesting effect to the city.

    Good start.

    ReplyDelete