Thursday, February 17, 2011

Digital Portrait


Original
 
Digital Portrait
 
Digital Portrait (Plastic Wrap)




My goal was to take an original photo of my sister and create a new photo using expression and movement.  I wanted to make my photo unique by using different colours and textures to complement the movement.  To complete my goal I began with taking several pictures of my my little sister outside.  I downloaded the pictures of my sister onto my computer once I was finished and then saved them all under a new folder.  After, I opened up the picture I chose to use onto Photoshop and then copied and pasted it onto its own layer.  Since I wasn't exactly sure of what I wanted to do, I started experimenting with different colours and textures for my sisters hair and clothing.  After experimenting, I then decided that using enhance, then adjusting the lighting and also adjusting the colour curves it made my sister's hair look defined and stringy.  Once I was finished the adjustment to my sister, I took out  the background around my sisters hair using the magic wand tool, and then used the eraser tool to remove the rest.  When the background was gone, I made a new layer and used the paint bucket to make a plain black page to replace the old background.  Last I searched Google for musical notes.  When I found the notes that I wanted to use, I saved them and then went back to Photoshop to open them up.  I created a new layer for each set of notes.  Then I used the magic wand to remove the white from around the notes. For my third picture I added a plastic wrap over the final picture just to experiment once again.  I like the look that the plastic wrap gave because it added a glow to the background.  Overall I'm happy with the way both of my pictures turned out.  My goal was to make a picture using movement and I feel that I accomplished it by using the affect of her stringy defined hair with the musical notes.  I also like the colour of the notes up against the black background because it makes them stand out.
Original



Black and White (Original)
 

Black and White (Newspaper)



For this assignment I decided to take pictures of my sister outside, because I thought that the light from the day sky would help with the lighting on her face.  I chose this picture because I like the fact that she has a gap and braces.  To make this photo more interesting I first converted it to black and white, and then on the same adjusting sheet I changed the contrast to newspaper with more contrast.  By doing this, the picture of my sister looks more defined and interesting.  Her hair is darker in this version then in the original black and white one.  I think that her dark hair brings out the colour of her pale skin and braces.  After changing the contrast, I then cropped the picture leaving part of my sisters face out.  I chose to crop it this way so that you would be more focused on her smile then her eyes.  









1 comment:

  1. Jess, you've done a good job on this task. Yes, you captured a nice sense of movement in the hair and music image. It needs a title. I think the plastic wrap filter works well.

    Your photo of your sister is nice and clear, you cropped it effectively and it represents her well.

    When you write you post you do not need to include details like downloading the image or making new layers. At this point we can assume certain things. What you need to report are the changes and effects that create the uniqueness of the image. If someone sees you second music picture and likes the effect, they need to see which filter it was.

    Think of giving a title to your images so it causes you to think about the message you're trying to project.

    ReplyDelete